BYOD in Schools
Bring Your Own Device;
Parents and Students,
The Pattonsburg School District has recently adopted a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policy for all schools in the district (the full policy is included with this correspondence). This policy will allow students to bring many of their own technology devices to school for use in our classrooms. We will now be incorporating the use of such items as laptops, iPads, and netbooks with browsing capabilities for educational purposes only. Similar to other personally owned items, the district is not liable for the loss, damage, misuse, or theft of personally owned devices brought to school.
This notification is to inform and guide you through this new opportunity. Please note that students are never required to bring in outside technology to school. All students will continue to be able to utilize our school equipment. No student will be left out of the instruction process.
1. Students will only use appropriate technology at teachers’ discretions.
2. Students will only use appropriate educational applications on their device (i.e. not games and/or non-school related tasks and functions).
3. Students are not to call, text message, email, or electronically communicate with others from their personal device, including other students, parents, guardians, friends, and family during the school day.
4. Students are permitted to access only the school’s network through personal devices, not private networks. More information will be provided to students for accessing the available network.
*Please refer to the attached policy (#237) for full details of expectations and infractions.
Students utilizing this opportunity to its fullest capacity within school expectations will find numerous benefits to instruction, resources, completion of assignments and personal organization.
Students not following expectations for use of personal devices will face school disciplinary measures and lose the privilege to utilize personal devices in school for a period of time commensurate with the infraction.
We look forward to the educational opportunities that BYOD will bring to our students and staff and understand that there will be some challenges with full implementation of the policy along the way. Your suggestions and feedback are always welcome. Thank you for your understanding and reinforcement of the initial procedures and expectations for this initiative.
237. ACCEPTABLE STUDENT USE OF PERSONALLY OWNED DEVICES
The School Board adopts this policy in order to maintain a safe and secure environment for students and employees.
A personally owned device shall include all existing and emerging technology devices that can take photographs; record audio or video; input text; upload and download media; and transmit or receive messages or images. Examples of a personally owned device shall include but is not limited to: MP3 players and iPods; iPads, Nooks, Kindle, and other tablet PCs; laptop and netbook computers; personal digital assistants (PDAs), as well as any device with similar capabilities.
Educational purposes include classroom activities, career development, and communication with experts, homework, and limited high quality self-discovery activities. Students are expected to act responsibly and thoughtfully when using technology resources. Students bear the burden of responsibility to inquire with school administrators and/or teachers when they are unsure of the permissibility of a particular use of technology prior to engaging in the use.
Inappropriate communication includes, but is not limited to, the following: obscene, profane, lewd, vulgar, rude, inflammatory, threatening, or disrespectful language or images typed, posted, or spoken by students; information that could cause damage to an individual or the school community or create the danger of disruption of the academic environment; personal attacks, including prejudicial or discriminatory attacks; harassment (persistently acting in a manner that distresses or annoys another person) or stalking of others; knowingly or recklessly posting false or defamatory information about a person or organization; and communication that promotes the destruction of property, including the acquisition or creation of weapons or other destructive devices. If a student is told to stop sending communications, that student must cease the activity immediately.
Examples of an unacceptable device in this policy shall include but is not limited to gaming devices or consoles, laser pointers, modems or routers, and televisions.
Personally owned devices are permitted for use during the school day for educational purposes and/or in approved locations only.
The District shall not be liable for the loss, damage, misuse, theft of any personally owned device brought to School.
The District reserves the right to monitor, inspect, copy, and review a personally owned device or file when administration has a reasonable suspicion that a violation has occurred.
Students may not utilize any technology to harass, threaten, demean, humiliate, intimidate, embarrass, or annoy their classmates or others in their community. This is unacceptable student behavior known as cyber bullying and will not be tolerated. Any cyber bullying that is determined to disrupt the safety and/or well being of the school is subject to disciplinary action.
Students must be aware of appropriateness of communications when using district or personally owned devices. Inappropriate communication is prohibited in any public messages, private messages, and material posted online by students.
The Board expressly prohibits use of personally owned devices in locker rooms, restrooms, and nurses offices.
Students are not permitted to use any electronic device to record audio or video media or take pictures of any student or staff member without their permission. The distribution of any unauthorized media may result in discipline including but not limited to suspension, criminal charges, and expulsion.
Personally owned devices used in school are not permitted to connect to the Internet through a 3G, 4G, or other content service providers. Personally owned devices must access the internet via the District’s content filtered wireless network.
All district students shall review this policy and associated technology guidelines before students utilize any school and/or personally owned devices. The District reserves the right to restrict student use of district owned technologies and personally owned devices on school property or at school-sponsored events.
Any parent who wishes that their child use a personally owned electronic device within the Pattonsburg School District must read and sign this agreement and submit to the classroom teacher.
1. The student takes full responsibility for his or her device and keeps it with himself or herself at all times. The school is not responsible for the security of the device.
2. The student is responsible for the proper care of their personal device, including any costs of repair, replacement or any modifications needed to use the device at school.
3. The school reserves the right to inspect a student’s personal device if there is reason to believe that the student has violated Board policies, administrative procedures, school rules or has engaged in other misconduct while using their personal device.
4. Violations of any Board policies, administrative procedures or school rules involving a student’s personally owned device may result in the loss of use of the device in school and/or disciplinary action.
5. The student must comply with teachers’ request to shut down the computer or close the screen.
6. The student may not use the devices to record, transmit or post photos or video of a person or persons on campus. Nor can any images or video recorded at school be transmitted or posted at any time without the express permission of a teacher.
7. The student should only use their device to access relevant files.
8. The student will use the district’s secured wireless network. Use of 3G & 4G wireless connections is not allowed.
DETACH AND RETURN TO HOMEROOM TEACHER.
RETAIN THE INFORMATION ABOVE.
Teacher___________________________________ (Elementary teacher or high school 1st period teacher)
Parent’s name ______________________________________________
I understand and will abide by the above policy and guidelines. I further understand that any violation of the above may result in the loss of network and/or device privileges as well as other disciplinary action.
As a parent I understand that my child will be responsible for abiding by the above policy and guidelines. I have read and discussed them with her/him and they understand the responsibility they have in the use of their personal device.
Parent’s Signature Date